HAVE YOUR SAY: TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL UNSIGHTLY BUILDINGS LAW
Townsville City Council has proposed a new local law to protect and enhance the amenity of buildings.
Local Law 8 (Unsightly Buildings) and Subordinate Local Law 8 (Unsightly Buildings) 2020 aims to protect buildings by requiring owners to:
- Maintain the presentation of buildings in designated areas; and
- Remove graffiti from buildings
To achieve this, the law proposes to:
- empower Council to designate areas of Townsville to which the local law will apply;
- impose a duty upon building owners to maintain the appearance of buildings;
- empower Council to call upon a building owner to show cause as to why the Council should not issue a compliance notice to the owner;
- establish review mechanisms in respect of show cause notices and compliance notices;
- empower Council to give owners and occupiers of property that has been marked with graffiti a graffiti removal notice that require the person to remove the graffiti; and
- create offences of failing to comply with a compliance notice or a graffiti removal notice issued under the local law.
Townville City Council is looking for feedback on any aspect of the new law. Submissions close at 5pm on 3 July 2020.
To lodge your submission, please click here.