Saturday 23 September 2023
Property Council Advocacy Results in the Formation of Northern Territory Housing Alliance
Addressing the acute housing crisis in the Northern Territory, the Property Council of Australia – NT Division is pleased to announce that Chief Minister Natasha Fyles has greenlighted the formation of the Northern Territory Housing Alliance.
This pivotal decision follows the Property Council’s strong advocacy, notably presenting the proposal at the NT Division’s State of the Territory Annual forum.
Property Council of Australia’s NT Division Executive Director, Ruth Palmer said that “The housing challenges we face in the Northern Territory aren’t isolated issues.
“They demand comprehensive, collective solutions. The formation of the Housing Alliance is a monumental step in the right direction, offering a multifaceted platform for genuine, tangible results.
“The proposed Alliance, as championed by our division, will involve a broad spectrum of stakeholders from government, private industry, and community organisations.
‘To ensure an impartial and broad-based perspective, we have recommended that the Alliance be chaired by a non-government affiliated representative,’ Ms Palmer said.
The core focus areas of the Alliance will include:
- Land Supply Identification: Pinpointing available and underutilised land assets for the development of social and affordable housing.
- Planning & Design: Establishing region-tailored, standardised housing blueprints.
- Procurement Platform: Refining processes for consultant and builder engagements.
- Investor Attraction: Spearheading initiatives to magnetise local and interstate housing sector investments.
- Research & Advisory: Advising on cost-efficient strategies for material sourcing and labour.
The Chief Minister announced that she will work directly with the Housing Alliance over the twelve months.
“Our advocacy doesn’t cease here. The Property Council will remain engaged, collaborating with the Northern Territory Government and all relevant entities.
“Our goal is clear – we need a diverse housing pipeline to cater to the spectrum of housing preferences. We’ll relentlessly pursue policies and innovative solutions to ensure the housing sector flourishes,” added Palmer.
Media contact: Ruth Palmer | M 0450 428 314 | E [email protected]