Briefings held on NCC Section J changes
On 7 and 8 May, the Property Council partnered with the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) to deliver two briefing sessions on Section J of the 2019 edition of the National Construction Code.
The new Section J, affecting commercial buildings, has been significantly rewritten to improve energy efficiency provisions.
The briefing sessions offered a deep dive into the new requirements, including:
- what the new quantified energy Performance Requirement means;
- the new combined window and wall provisions, including how to calculate the thermal performance of the façade using the new façade calculator tool;
- what JV3 practitioners will need to do differently in their energy models;
- trading thermal performance between façade aspects as an alternative to JV3;
- the new comfort requirement;
- how to use NABERS and Green Star to show compliance;
- the new DTS stringency level for roofs, lighting, lifts, swimming pools, HVAC and metering equipment; and
- when the provisions come into effect.
The Property Council would like to thank the sessions’ presenters:
- Mike Dodd, Senior Policy Officer - Australian Building Codes Board
- Erica Kenna, Acting Assistant Director - Energy Efficient Communities Team - Department of the Environment and Energy
- Carlos Flores, Director - National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) and;
- Taryn Cornell, Green Star Technical Manager - Green Building Council of Australia
Many thanks also to hosts of the briefing sessions, Cromwell Property Group.
More information in Section J can be found here.